Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Training Week In Review

Lots of extra time this week. It's time to taper for Augusta 70.3 and that's easier said than done. I found myself with a lot of extra time and actually started to wonder what I'm going to do with all the free time when the season is over. Technically, Augusta is my last triathlon for the year, but I'm not going to just stop training altogether. There's still a marathon that's a possibility and a half marathon in November. I'm not worried about the half. All I have to do is maintain my current running schedule and I'll be fine. The marathon is a whole other thing. My longest run has been 18 miles and that's the only reason I'm considering doing a full marathon. I'd like to get to 20-22 miles before the marathon. It's my understanding that's when it gets difficult, and a large part is the mental aspect of it. We'll see. So far it looks like the Atlanta Marathon on October 30 will be my next race after Augusta. I'll keep swimming, but cycling will probably drop off significantly following Augusta.

Been back mountain biking. A couple of the guys in the club are also getting back into it and it provides a different aspect to the training and some fun rides.

Date Day Activity
09/05/11 Monday Rest
09/06/11 Tuesday Run - 7 Miles
09/07/11 Wednesday Rest
09/08/11 Thursday Bike - 16 Miles Mountain Bike
09/09/11 Friday Run - 8 Miles
09/10/11 Saturday Bike - 48 Miles
09/11/11 Sunday Rest

This week was also the club's signup for IM Wisconsin 2012. It sold out in less than 24 hours. Because of the financial commitment, I just couldn't pull the trigger. There were other reasons as well. When you factor in registration (almost $700), hotel, airfare & bike shipping the price gets close to $2,000. If I'm going to spend that kind of money, it isn't going to be in Wisconsin. After a year of training and achieving such a huge accomplishment, I'd like to reward myself with a little vacation and Madison, Wisconsin doesn't appeal to me as a vacation spot.  If I really wanted to do an IM for less money, I could always do The Great Floridian in Clermont, FL. Registration is $450 and I can register the day before the race if I wanted to. Not to mention, my family is about a 45 minute drive to the race site, so accommodations are free and I get to see my friends and family. Better yet, they can come out and see me race. There's also the option for Rev3 Cedar Point on the same day as IM Wisconsin and it takes place at a theme park. I'm disappointed that I won't be able to do the club's IM race. I will do one, and when I do, I'm going to make the best of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment