Monday, July 25, 2011

Training Week in Review

This was a recovery week and I found it difficult to cut back. I did take 2 days off, but kept the extra days of swimming and weight training. Even though my Saturday run had been cut back to 8 miles, I still pushed the pace and I'm pretty sure I was running sub-8 minute miles. Sunday's ride was supposed to be a 2 hour ride which meant about a 35 mile ride, but I hate driving almost an hour to only ride 35 miles. Instead I rode 3.5 hours and kept the power under control and used high cadence to keep it kind of easy. Surprisingly, I still managed a very good pace. I think the prior week's ride with some intervals thrown in helped. I think I'm going to try that again next week.

I keep working on my swim and I'm just not seeing any speed improvements. My technique is definitely better and I feel stronger, but it's not transferring to improvement on speed. It's possible that I'm just tired. I throw in weight training specifically to target muscles used in the swim and I can feel the soreness after the endurance swims. Maybe if I'm fresh I'll see the time difference.

Date Day Activity
07/18/11 Monday Rest
07/19/11 Tuesday Run - 7 Miles
07/20/11 Wednesday Strength Training
Swim - 700 Meters
Spin - 1 Hour
07/21/11 Thursday Rest
07/22/11 Friday Swim- 2200 Meters
07/23/11 Saturday Run - 8.4 Miles
Swim - 2000 Meters OWS
07/24/11 Sunday Bike - 62 Miles
Brick - 30 Minutes

It also seems that several of my team mates and coaches think I'm doing an Ironman this year. I guess my improvement, dedication and consistent training has people thinking I'm up for the challenge. Makes me feel good, but I think I'd be working much harder and doing longer distances if I was doing an Ironman.

No comments:

Post a Comment