Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Swimming - Technique

I've searched for various sites and viewed numerous YouTube videos trying to see what the proper freestyle technique is or at least see someone break it down so that I can analyze and apply them to my technique. The problem is there is too much information and some of it is outdated. I was applying one technique and talked to my coach about it and she pointed out some things that were wrong and not efficient. That led me to doing some more searching and came across this site, swimtypes.com. I didn't immediately consider them to be a resource until their other site was recommended by Triathlete magazine, swimsmooth.com. Here's a video that is exactly what my coach was telling me about using the bent elbow for the catch (around 3:40)


They also have a free program that can be downloaded that shows the proper form and technique that can be viewed from multiple angles.

I'll be downloading the program and will evaluate it over the next couple of days and let you know what I think. So far I think this site is exactly what I need to be watching before my pool workouts. I even read some of the beginner instruction and learned a few things about breathing that had not been explained to me before.

Out all 3 disciplines in triathlons, I think swimming is the one most struggle with. You'll see me post a lot about my swim progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment