Friday, February 4, 2011

Swimming - Work in Progress

I've been in the pool 3 times this week and it's starting to feel better. I don't have the speed yet and I was slowing down considerably by the end of Monday's workout. It seemed that I could keep up with everyone else in my lane at the beginning, but as the sets started getting faster, my arms got tired and I got slower. I'm not really frustrated because I concentrated on my form and really worked on maintaining it throughout the workout.

On Wednesday, I put in some more time in the pool. It was after an hour spin class and we had done a couple sets of jumping off the bike and doing squats for 1 minute. I wasn't going for speed. I wanted to do longer/endurance swims and maintain my form. I was tired and I didn't really think about structuring a specific workout. I just wanted to swim.

Thursday, was a more structured workout. I set it up so that I would increase my distance between each set with about 1 minute break between sets.

2 x 50 meters Warm up
1x 100 meters Warm up
1x 100 meters
1x 200 meters
2 x 300 meters
1 x 200 meters
1 x 100 meters
1 x 100 meters Cool down

1500 Meters total

I felt comfortable the entire time at a pace that I felt I could maintain over a long distance. On the shorter sets, I would push a little faster by pulling more through the water, not necessarily increasing stroke count. I'm concerned jumping from Sprint distance to Half Iron distance, especially the swim. I've got 3 months to work on it, so I want to make sure I start getting some long swims in. Getting in 3 swim workouts a week should really help.

No comments:

Post a Comment