Monday, April 11, 2011

Training Week in Review

Whew! Lots of training this week. I did my longest ride ever (78 miles) on Sunday followed by a 25 minute brick. The 1st 1.5 miles were tough and I felt like I was just shuffling my feet. I pushed hard on the bike and considered not running. I'm glad I did, because I need to know what it feels like to run after cycling that distance. Rest of the week went pretty well. Thursday's intervals were a great exercise in spinning high cadence. The goal was to ride in the small ring and ride the intervals around 90-95 rpm with an active recovery around 80-85 rpm. Felt weird to spin on such an easy gear especially on a very flat course. However the idea was not to mash harder gears so you don't wear out your legs for the run. I did a 20 minute brick afterwards and my legs felt really good. I was running my normal pace. Definitely using this technique at Gulf Coast. Saturday was the Tony Serrano group ride and it was a great course. Very little traffic and great SAG stops. I pushed my normal pace, but rode within my heart rate and never went LT and watched my cadence the entire time. I kept it between 80-90 rpm. At one point I looked at my average speed and I was somewhere around 19 mph (I switched my bike computer to only display time & cadence). Later the wind picked up and we got some steeper hills. That affected my average, but I still finished with a 18.38 mph. This is the first time I've ever got up to 18 mph. I'm very happy with my performance and then ran a 20 minute brick. Once again, I felt great on the start of the run. I was running faster than I should have been and slowed the pace down when I caught up to another group. It was getting hot and I got a little taste of what I might expect at Gulf Coast. I'm starting to feel really good about my first HIM.

Date Day Activity
04/03/11 Sunday 78 Mile Ride + 25 Minute Brick
04/04/11 Monday 1800 Meter Swim
04/05/11 Tuesday 7.3 Mile Run
04/06/11 Wednesday 1 Hour Spin Class
1600 Meter Swim
04/07/11 Thursday 25 Mile Ride - Intervals
04/08/11 Friday Rest
04/09/11 Saturday 62 Mile Ride - Tony Serrano Ride + 20min Brick

No comments:

Post a Comment