Monday, April 18, 2011

Training Week in Review

This was a tough week. This was the peak of my half ironman training and you can see it in the distances at the end of the week. I did my first open water swim with my wetsuit. It went better than expected. I think what helped was arriving a little early and slowly getting into the water as I acclimated to the cold temps so it didn't take my breath away. We did a OWS clinic and practiced various starts, drafting & sighting. I swam only 1000 meters, but felt pretty good about it. My sighting was not that great, but I think I'll be fine when swimming with a large group. Thursdays ride concentrated on high cadence again. I was surprised when I ran afterwards, that my cadence was around 95-97. I usually run between 90-92. It was weird but it felt really good. I wasn't tired and my legs felt great. I've got to remember this for my half ironman. Saturday was a long run and my longest ever. Luckily it was relatively flat and no hills at all. I started at a really fast pace and felt good. I had just watched the run portion of last years Kona World Championship and picturing these great runners helped me work on my form. I didn't feel tired until my last 2 miles and my calves were burning up from the workout. I stretched afterwards and aside from feeling tired all day, I was not sore at all. I drank a Mix1 protein drink and peanut butter sandwich afterwards. The protein really helped me recover. I was really surprised at myself pushing so hard and seeing how well my body responded. It really gave me confidence for my half ironman in 3 weeks.

Date Day Activity
04/10/11 Sunday 11 Mile Run & 1000 Meter OWS
04/11/11 Monday 2000 Meter Swim
04/12/11 Tuesday 7.1 Mile Run
04/013/11 Wednesday 1 Hour Spin Class
1600 Meter Swim
04/14/11 Thursday 25 Mile Ride - Intervals +
 20 Minute Brick
04/15/11 Friday Rest
04/16/11 Saturday 18 Mile Run

No comments:

Post a Comment