Monday, January 30, 2012

Week #4

This was a great week and I broke a barrier I didn't even plan on breaking. After the Hogpen 18k hill climb, I started the week easy. Tuesday's run started out as a recovery run, but I couldn't take it easy. I've been pushing hard on Tuesday nights so I picked up the pace half way through the run. Despite my effort, I still couldn't run at my normal pace. My legs had not fully recovered from last Saturday's race. I needed to work out my legs and try to get some strength back into them. I really worked them on the leg press and felt sore through Friday and even a little bit Saturday. I took it a bit easy on Thursday & Friday hoping to give my legs a rest for Saturday's 5k.
Date Day Activity
01/23/12 Monday Swim - 2200 yards
01/24/12 Tuesday Run - 7 miles
01/25/12 Wednesday Swim - 1000 meters
Cycle - Spin
Lower Body Strength
01/26/12 Thursday Rest
01/27/12 Friday Upper body Strength
Core Strength
01/28/12 Saturday Race - Polar Bear 5k
01/29/12 Sunday Rest

The 5k ended up being the highlight of the whole week and I'm still grinning ear to ear thinking about it. It's been several years since I've raced a 5k and back then, I probably ran between 27-28 minutes. I was hoping to push myself and get my time down to 25 minutes. I finished in 20:35! 5th in my age group and 42 seconds behind 3rd place. I was so close to a podium. I'm not disappointed, I'm ecstatic about my performance. I had no idea I could run at a 6:40 /mile pace.  I think I'll go more into the detail in a race report and I still need to write up a report for Hogpen. It may take another week to get those up.

No comments:

Post a Comment