Sunday, June 26, 2011

K Swiss Blade Light Run - Review

I've put these shoes through 377 miles of asphalt, concrete, training runs and a half ironman distance. I have to say I'm extremely please with these shoes and are my number 1 choice in shoes. This review is in no way a formal or technical review. It's just my perception/opinion after months of use.

I'll start off by saying that I've tried several of the K Swiss brand shoes and have had mixed results. Only one bad experience, but it had to do with my biomechanics and not being in the right shoe. Sometimes you have to make some mistakes to find exactly what you need. I decided to go with K Swiss as I got drawn into their marketing and sponsorship of professional triathletes. I figured it was good enough for the pros, it was good enough for me.

I like the idea of drainage ports on the bottom of the shoe and I must say, it works. You can see the drainage ports along the sole of the shoe. I also like the "Flow Cool System" a series of ventilation holes on the toe and heel section of the shoes. On my second run with the Blades, I got caught in a rain shower and discovered that as good as they are in allowing water to flow out, they're just as good in letting water get in. As I ran across puddles, I could feel the water seep from the bottom. You would never get that feeling with regular running shoes. However, I never got the squishing sock/shoe that you get with other shoes. During my half iron distance race in Panama City Beach, I ran without socks and really discovered how the drainage ports and "Flow Cool System" works. At aid stations, I would pour water over my head, grab sponges and at times run by someone spraying with a hose. All of these were used to keep cool in the heat. I realized that my shoes were dry by the time I got to the next aid station. Meanwhile there were other runners with wet shoes and sock, causing blisters and an uncomfortable running experience. I just used some talcum powder in my Blades before the run, so they would slip on easier and never experienced any discomfort or rubbing from running sock-less.

As I mentioned before, I had a bad experience with a previous K Swiss model. It was the Keahou II. It's not a bad shoe. It's just not the shoe for my feet and I didn't realize it until I switched to the Blades. The Keahou's have a wider toe box and is quite comfortable. Due to my biomechanics my foot tended to roll outward. Little did I know that this was the cause of the pain in my hip. I thought it had to do with all the running and the beating(impact) I was taking on the training runs. As you can see from the photo below the sole was wearing out from the outer portion of the shoe.
You can see the sole wearing out along the outer (left side) edge of the shoe.
I noticed this since everything I was reading said I should be landing on my mid foot. I had recently adjusted my running from being a heel striker to a mid foot striker, but the shoes showed otherwise.

After only about 250 miles I switched to the Blades and quickly noticed the pain in my hip go away. How quickly? In about 2-3 weeks it was nearly all gone. I noticed the Blades had a narrower toe box, which made for a more snug fit and more support. Even though both shoes are classified as being neutral, the fit still made a difference and affected my body and how I ran.

In the photo below is the K Swiss Blade Light Run's sole after 377 miles. You can see the wear pattern is centered in the mid foot area.

I now run pain free and I don't feel the impact from running as I once did. I've already picked up a 2nd pair and posted a photo of the sole for comparison.

I was just getting used to the bright yellow color and it's no longer available. This year's model is all white and silver. There is still some drawbacks to the sole's design. You can see in the yellow sole in one of the drainage ports a small pebble stuck. This is a common occurrence. Even between the blades, you'll collect dirt and pebbles. It doesn't affect your run or the shoe's performance. It's only when you arrive home that you'll see dirt on your floor. If you have wood floors, those pebbles will scratch those floors. I've gotten used to checking the bottom of my shoe and pulling the pebbles from the ports.

I also have a suggestion to K Swiss. Since these shoes are marketed towards triathletes, you should devise your own no-tie lacing system or elastic lacing system. I've tried Yankz and I find them cumbersome and not easy to adjust. I also think the Yankz lacing system ruins the aesthetic of a good shoe. I'm trying out a new elastic lace system called Flatlines. Looks promising and is used by K Swiss sponsored pro triathlete Julie Dibens. I already had some comments from some of my training buddies on today's run.

I've considered the new Kwicky Blade-Light, but have been told they are also wider and I may have similar results to the Keahou II. I also want to buy a pair of the Blade Light Recover. They look and feel really comfortable.

Overall I'm really pleased with my Blade Light's and my run's are more enjoyable. That fact alone has allowed me to train more often and make significant improvement in my speed. As long as K Swiss keeps making the Blade Light, I'm never going to switch to another shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment