Monday, January 3, 2011

Upgrading Saddle


As mentioned in a previous post, I decided to upgrade to a new saddle due to some numbness I was feeling. Everyone is different and the same saddle can feel different to each person. One of the first things I noticed was how much more narrow this saddle was to my previous one, specifically the tail end. Because I was curious, I also weighed both saddles. Not that I'm one concerned with weight, but If I was going to add weight to my bike, the new saddle needed to be comfortable. Turns out the new Profile Design Tri Stryke is 10 grams lighter than the old one. I know Profile makes a lighter one with titanium rails, but I didn't feel like spending over $100 on a saddle.

As you can tell, the center is cut out. This missing section is supposed to provide you with an area that does not apply any pressure points that can cause numbness by restricting blood flow. So far that seems to be working. I've been on the trainer twice for one hour each and so far no numbness. As I mentioned, the tail end is narrower than the old saddle and find that it's not quite as comfortable sitting up. You wouldn't ride sitting straight up for an extended period of time as it negates any advantages of being in an aero position. I've already installed the aero bars and I'm still in the process of tweaking the position. It seems that the saddle is more comfortable when riding in the aero position. I've angled the nose down slightly. I may adjust this later depending on how comfortable I feel. You'll also notice that below the center cut area are vents. The vents are designed to direct air flow and dry this area after you exit the swim. I don't know how well this works since I haven't race on it yet, but I don't recall having a problem with my short drying out last year and I wear tri specific shorts. This saddle is definitely designed with the triathlete in mind. Time will tell how comfortable I feel. My initial thoughts seem to be very good especially in the aero position.

No comments:

Post a Comment